North Korea is perhaps one of the most mysterious countries in the world given how it is isolated when it comes to the current developments globally. It is a country that puts much focus on its reputations and goes to great lengths to control the image it portrays to the rest of the world. Thanks to the media it has managed to achieve its goal of keeping what they don’t want to be revealed, and it is strictly kept a secret. In fact, when you successfully manage to get through the difficult visa acquisition process and get into the country, photography is not among the list of hobbies you can engage in. It is highly restricted.
However, there have popped up various photographs from this country clogged with a figurative darkness, that the country would not have wanted outsiders to set their eyes on – thanks to the efforts of some brave persons. Here are 15 illegal photos of life in North Korea that will blow your mind completely.
2. This is a photo of street cleaners with a child sweeping the dust in the pavements under the strict supervision of a soldier. The photo was taken in the country’s capital, Pyongyang in a park.
3. It is forbidden to take a picture of poor persons in the country. The officials forbid it as the country wants to be seen as developed and all people living good lives.
4. During hard times, child labor takes effect. Given the fact that hard times are always experienced in the country – unlike what the leadership wants to show – you will find young children working in farms instead of being in school.
5. In a country that is so keen on protecting its image, this is not a picture they would want anyone to land their eyes on. In the rural areas, it is a common scenario to see people taking a bath in the rivers.
6. Cars are a recent thing. They are not common in the country and have only appeared recently. That is why kids still consider the streets to be their playground.
7. This is a photo of a woman standing among army soldiers. Army pictures are forbidden.
8. The main city seems to be sparkling clean. You wouldn’t expect anything to be amiss – until you see this photo that reflects the true picture of city life.
9. The first thing anyone sees is a photo of a mother and her child resting on a bench. However, the officials see this picture as depicting the mother and her child as being homeless and helpless.
10. Apparently, grass is considered as food to the Korean people. They pick grass to go eat. But the country hates that image being out there for the world to see.
11. The Army again! A North Korean soldier was caught on camera sleeping in public. But the government due to its high esteem didn’t like that idea broadcasted to the world. Pictures of North Korean soldiers relaxing are not to be taken.
12. In the bid to portray the country as perfect, any picture of something that does not work or has broken down is prohibited. This is a picture of people pushing a bus that had broken down.
13. Brooms should not be anywhere near the base of any official statues in the country. But somehow this one found its way to one.
14. North Korean workers face danger every day due to the poor working conditions. The safety of the workers is not a concern that is shared with the country officials. Images like this are common in North Korea showing the deplorable working conditions.